Getting noticed is a challenge that many sale people face. Social selling certainly is an easy channel to help over come that obstacle, and here are 9 ways to get the attention of your targeted buyers:
- Visit Their Profile – First, make sure your settings are open so that others can see that you have viewed their profile. Next, make a pre-qualified list of the people you’d like to engage with, visit their profile (and while you are there, get to know them better). About 10% will look back, so be sure to look at Who’s Viewed Your Profile every day and engage. Send a connection request with a personalized note: Thanks for visiting my profile, I had a chance to look at yours and (noticed something we have in common) so I thought it might make sense for us to connect.
- Follow– This is a very simple but powerful way to get the attention of a LinkedIn member. When you Follow a person that you are not connected to will send them a notification that you have followed them. This will, in most cases, pique their curiosity and they will check out your profile. Now, go to the first tip above and engage. If your profile is positioned to be a resource, your success of them accepting your invitation sky rockets. To follow someone, visit their profile and choose the “More…” button and click “follow”.
- Like, Share and Comment on Recent Activity – The reason people share content is to get engagement, so you can really make an impression by appealing to what matters to them. Be sure to read the content and engage authentically. They will get a notification that you liked, shared or commented on their update and which will get them to visit your profile, and may even ask you to connect. When you are on their profile scroll down to the area that says “[NAME] Articles & Activity”. If you don’t see anything there, they don’t have any activity to engage on.
- Get a Warm Introduction – Being introduced by a shared connection is one of the most effective ways to not only get on your buyers radar but come in to the conversation with immediate credibility. The ability to search and filter your connections’ connections is part of what makes LinkedIn so powerful!
- Send an InMail – This messaging feature is a available to LinkedIn’s Premium users and allows you to directly message people you are not connected to. There are free InMail opportunities through Open Profile messages. Messages can be sent to any member with Open Profile turned on, even if they are outside of your network. Anyone on LinkedIn can send an Open Profile message to these Premium members without an Introduction or paying for an InMail. All LinkedIn members can see the full profiles of the Premium members with an Open Profile. If you have a Premium account, click the pencil next to the word Premium when you are in your edit profile to choose Open Profile.
- Connection Request – Although I don’t recommend a cold connection request is the best first move to getting on your buyer’s radar, but it is a way. If you do choose to send a cold connection request, make sure your personal note is meaningful to them.
- Congratulate – LinkedIn alerts you when your connections change jobs, have an anniversary, birthday, are mentioned in the news or other events, this is a great opportunity to engage. But remember, many others are congratulating them too, so make it memorable with a personal note.
- Share Their Own Company Updates – Their company may have posted news they haven’t seen. When something positive is shared by or about their company, share a link via InMail or if you are already connected in a message. Include a note: I saw this great article about your company and I wasn’t sure if you had a chance to read it yet.
- Mention Them in an Update – This too is not necessarily something I would do prior to establishing rapport, but sharing that company update publicly and @mentioning them in the post will send them a notification that they were mentioned.
Getting on your prospects radar is just a small part of the sales process, but it is an important one. We would love to hear what you are doing to get the attention of your buyers – please share your successes in comments below!